Parent Category: Adventure Travel
Category: Whitewater Rafting
Cucaracho River - Guanacaste (Class III-IV-V): About 2 hours from the town of Liberia and set on the slopes of the amazing Rincon de la Vieja Volcano; flowing through its pristine National Park is Costa Rica’s new outstanding Rafting Adventure, the Cucaracho River.
Picture yourself on a river surrounded by lush primary forest, cascade dripping walls, unique wildlife and 12 miles packed with over 70 Class III-IV rapids + 2 Class V’s!
The memorable first descent of the THE CUCARACHO RIVER was February 25, 2013 by RIOS TROPICALES AND FLOW TRIPS staff. This “wonderous” section starts after the confluence of 4 beautiful rivers that flow at the north east on the Rincon De La Vieja slopes; the Rio Azul, Rio Negro and the Rio Pénjamo join the Cucaracho.
- What's Included:
- Snack (fruit, juices, water, cookies) in the middle of the tour.
- All the specialized gear needed for the activity (helmets, lifejackets, paddles).
- Professional, bilingual & friendly guides.
- Reservation & Cancellation Policy:
- If reserved through a travel agent, a voucher must be presented before boarding.
- If reserved directly in our offices please provide invoice.
- In order to receive full refund for y our cancellation you must cancel before 4 p.m. the day before trip departure.
- Please be on time at your specified pickup hotel.
- NO REFUNDS FOR NO SHOWS
- River Dificulty:
- Moderate to advanced.
- Class III Rapids: include high irregular waves; narrow passages that often require complex maneuvering.
- Class IV rafting: Long, difficult rapids with constricted passages that often require precise maneuvering in very turbulent waters.
- Who Can Go?
- Anyone in normal healthy physical condition.
- Swimming experience is desired.
- Min. age: 14-years-old.
- Recommended Gear:
- Rubber-soled shoes that can get wet (Tevas, tennis shoes, booties or similar).
- Swimsuit / swim trunks.
- T-shirt and shorts of a quick-drying material.
- Waterproof sunscreen lotion (SPF 15 or higher).
- Sun hat or bandana.
- Croakies or straps to secure glasses.
- Clothing Change including shoes for after your Rafting Tour.
Once on the river, in store for you is 4 action packed hours; where in the middle we will stop for a delicious River Style Lunch, giving you time and break in the action to restore your energy for the second half of the paddle session to get to the town of Birmania.
If your professional river guides see fit and the conditions are perfect, you just might take on the challenge to run the 2 Class V’s: Upper and Lower Cricket!
After Birmania return to your hotel or continue your Costa Rica journey.
Season: All year